Lead Poisoning Prevention Initiative
The Notre Dame Lead Innovation Team is striving to reduce the impact of lead in our community. To help families prevent lead poisoning and identify lead hazards in their home environment, we are developing a low cost, scalable home lead sample collection kit. Further, our team is utilizing a Citizen Science model to collect soil samples and map results to determine ‘hot spots’ in the community.
At the EIGH, our researchers use epidemiology to understand the distribution and determinants of the health and disease conditions in specific populations, and to identify risk factors for certain diseases. This allows them to develop, implement, and measure the impact of targeted, preventative healthcare methods.
Maternal/Child and Community Health
At the EIGH, our researchers explore multifaceted health issues pertaining to women, pregnancy, breastfeeding, reproduction, and infant and child well-being. Our focus to decrease maternal and infant mortality rates supports a global priority among health practitioners and researchers. Additionally, community-based research on the local and global levels promotes a team effort to protect and improve the health of population groups worldwide.
- City of South Bend, Mayor’s Office
- Near Northwest Neighborhood, Inc.
- St. Joseph County Health Department
- E. Blair Warner Clinic
- Women, Infants and Children (WIC)
- Indiana Health Center
UNIVERSITY OF NOTRE DAME PARTNERSHIPS
- Center for Digital Scholarship
- College of Science
- College of Engineering
- Center for Social Concerns
- The Shaw Center for Children and Families
Silva, E. (2018). Developing a Predictive Model to Assess the Relationship Between Socioeconomic Factors and Childhood Blood Lead Levels at the Census Tract Level.
LaFleur, D. (2017). A Literature Review: How Can the Community Health Worker Impact Public Health?
Other Research in United States
- Sand fly genome project
- Role of Doulas in Health Disparities
- Rapid and Multi-Target Virus Isolation, Detection and Quantification for Point-of-Care Applications
- Investigating Patient Cognitive Load and Stress Levels During Postpartum Discharge
- Postpartum Complications: Women’s Knowledge and Impact of Post-Birth Discharge Education
- Improving Human Papilloma Virus-Vaccination Rates
- Vaccine Mapper
- The Global State of Genome Editing
- Insecticide discovery
- Deciphering the mosquito's visual capabilities
- The cell biology and pathogenesis of cryptococcal disease
- Community-based participatory research with AIDS Ministries/AIDS Assist
- Bacterial Pathogenicity in Catheter-Associated Infections
- Developing Genomic Tools for Combating Chagas Disease
- Effect of COVID-19 on exercise routines