The cell biology and pathogenesis of cryptococcal disease
Fungal infections represent an unappreciated serious health problem, responsible for 1.6 million deaths yearly, mostly in low-resource, poor areas of the world. One of the leading causes is the environmental yeast Cryptococcus neoformans. Our research goals are to understand the cryptococcal-host interactions that are critical for pathogenesis in order to develop new ways to treat or influence the course of the disease in favor of the host.
Genetics and Genomics
One way to study certain diseases is through genetics - the study of heredity and the variation of individual inherited genes in an organism. At the EIGH, this means studying how organisms can inherit and spread certain diseases. Additionally, by analyzing the entire structure, function, and evolution of an organism's genes, researchers may identify ways to prevent a disease from genetically passing disease traits.
At the EIGH, our researchers work to combat a number of various illnesses, including infectious diseases caused by organisms like bacteria, viruses, fungi, and parasites. These diseases can also be spread from one person to another and may be transmitted from animals to humans.
Molecular Biology and Microbiology
Researchers at the EIGH use microbiology, which encompasses the study of an entire microorganism, and molecular biology, or the interactivity between molecules within a cell of an organism, to better understand disease and improve global health.
Notre Dame Partnerships
- Department of Biological Sciences
Other Research in United States
- Lead poisoning prevention initiative
- Sand fly genome project
- Role of Doulas in Health Disparities
- Rapid and Multi-Target Virus Isolation, Detection and Quantification for Point-of-Care Applications
- Investigating Patient Cognitive Load and Stress Levels During Postpartum Discharge
- Postpartum Complications: Women’s Knowledge and Impact of Post-Birth Discharge Education
- Improving Human Papilloma Virus-Vaccination Rates
- Vaccine Mapper
- Insecticide discovery
- Deciphering the mosquito's visual capabilities
- Community-based participatory research with AIDS Ministries/AIDS Assist
- Bacterial Pathogenicity in Catheter-Associated Infections
- Developing Genomic Tools for Combating Chagas Disease
- Effect of COVID-19 on exercise routines